Who We Are
GREENevada stands for Growing Resources for Environmental Education in Nevada. Our mission is to foster sustainability through environmental education and leadership.
GREENevada organizations and agencies include: Alliance for Climate Education, Carson Water Subconservancy District, Envirolution, Friends of Nevada Wilderness, Great Basin Outdoor School, Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful, Nevada Bugs and Butterflies, Nevada Department of Environmental Protection and Project WET, Nevada Department of Wildlife, Nevada Green Institute, Nevada Recycles, One Truckee River, Reno Bike Project, River Wranglers, Science Alive, Sierra Nevada Journeys, Sustainable Nevada, Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation, Urban Roots Garden Classrooms, U.S. Green Building Council – Nevada Chapter, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Washoe County School District, and greenUP!
What We Do
Plant seeds. Grow roots. Branch out.
As environmental leaders, we share ideas and opportunities to foster collaboration that will positively impact our communities.
2020 Golden Pinecone Sustainability Awards
Honoring Organizations and Individuals for their Sustainability Efforts in Our Community
Theme: Celebrate Reno’s Sustainability & Climate Action Plan
Golden Pinecone Sustainability Award 2020 Winners Announced!
GREENevada announces the winners of the Golden Pinecone Sustainability Awards 2020. GREENevada is partnering with the Reno-Sparks Chamber of Commerce and greenUP! for a virtual event on December 3rd. Awards categories reflect nine priorities identified by our community that provide the framework for the City of Reno’s Sustainability & Climate Action Plan. This year’s winners are:
- Green Business Operations – Davidson’s Organics
- Clean Energy – Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC)
- Green Building – Great Basin Hall Project / University of Nevada Reno
- Low-Carbon Neighborhoods & Mobility – Daniel Inouye, Branch Chief, Washoe County Health District, Air Quality Management Division
- Toward Zero Waste – Full Circle Compost / Cody Witt
- Urban Forest Canopy – ReLEAF Reno
- Food Security – Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Safeguard Water Resources – Carson Water Subconservancy District
- Sustainable Milestones – greenUP!, for launching the Nevada Green Business Program and Network
- Educational Program – Adrienne Wiggins, Empire Elementary School
- Youth Leadership – The Dayton Intermediate School Robotics Team for Project ReCharge LED Retrofit
Click here for detail about each of the 2020 winners and a listing of past recipients.
The Golden Pinecone Ball was started by Tod Bedrosian, Bob Fulkerson, Glenn Miller and Bob Loux to bring the environmental community together as friends and initially to get the community excited about stopping the dump of nuclear waste. The pinecone awards were handmade out of plywood, an ironic twist on formal award ceremonies to honor environmental achievements of the past year.
The 2020 Golden Pinecone Sustainability awards ceremony, sponsored by NV Energy and greenUP!, will be held during a virtual event hosted by the Reno+Sparks Chamber of Commerce on December 3rd from 3pm to 5pm. Anyone may attend the event using the registration link.